Sign up Information
The Jam’n Java Open Mic provides a venue for singers, songwriters,
and acoustic musicians to share their music with others.
Sign up process
- Show up between 6:00 and 6:30 to sign up. This will virtually guarantee you get to play.
- Playing order will be randomly assigned with the first performer going on by 6:45.
- Anyone arriving after 6:30 will be added to the performer list in the order that they sign up.
- You will get to perform either one or two songs depending on how many people sign up before 6:30.
We have always preferred a two song per act format, however, we consider it equally important that everyone that signs up before 6:30 gets to perform.
The first Friday of each month 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm at Kickstand Cafe
Kickstand Cafe, 594 Mass. Ave., Arlington, MA (Located in Arlington Center )
Who comes to play?
Performers range from individuals simply wishing to share their music with others to aspiring
local performers looking for a venue to try out new material and polish their performance skills.
What kind of music is typically performed?
Performers have included singer-songwriters, and individuals and small groups performing
original songs, traditional and contemporary folk music, blues, jazz, country and contemporary music.
A typical evening provides an opportunity for about 15 to 20 acts to perform one or two songs.
In addition, a feature act will perform a 30-minute set midway through the evening.
How do I know when I go on?
Once the playing order has been determined, it will be posted at the sign up table. The MC will also announce through the evening who is up next.
How many songs do I get to play?
It depends on how many people have signed up by 6:30. Our goal is to make sure that everyone that signs up before 6:30 gets to perform.
- If 14 or fewer people sign up before 6:30, each act can perform two songs each
- If more than 14 people sign up, the format will alternate between doing one song and two songs.
- If more than 18 performers sign up, we go to a one song per performer format.
- If there is time at the end of the evening, anyone that only performed one song will have an opportunity to do a second song.
How you can help things run smoothly
- Be ready when it’s your turn to play, instrument tuned and in hand.
- If performing one song, please try to keep it under 5 minutes including introduction.
- If performing two songs, please try to keep it under 10 minutes including introduction.
- If you have any special requirements let us know in advance.
- If you have to leave for any reason before it’s your turn to play, let us know.
The sound system provides four microphones for voice or instrument, and four direct inputs to plug in
instruments plus a stage monitor
Sign Up For Our Mailing List
Note: We value your privacy. We do not share our mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time using the unsubscribe link located at the bottom of all email correspondence.